In October 2018, New York’s Governor announced a historic plan to redevelop and transform John F. Kennedy International Airport into a modern 21st century airport. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is implementing this redevelopment program. The JFK Redevelopment Program is currently seeking a motivated and experienced individual to co-manage the public outreach and community relations aspects of the program. The Co-Manager, External Affairs & Community Outreach will be part of the program management team and act as the primary point of contact for public outreach and community engagement for the JFK Redevelopment Program. The position reports to Director of Government and Community Relations for the Aviation Redevelopment- New York and the Program Director of the JFK Redevelopment at the Port Authority. The candidate is expected to work on-site at the JFK Redevelopment Outreach Office located in Jamaica, New York.
- Serves as one of the primary points of contacts with external community and governmental stakeholders, including but not limited to the JFK Redevelopment Community Advisory Council (JFKRCAC), on information about the Program. Schedules and coordinates stakeholder meetings and public information sessions, including but not limited to JFKRCAC and its Committees.
- Subject to approval, designs and implements, in collaboration with the JFKR Community Information Center (CIC) staff, GOCOR-NY, and others, a Public Outreach Program to keep the community informed. Co-Manages the CIC located in Jamaica, NY Provides routine regular, formal and informal updates to the public at community meetings and other community events.
- Subject to approval, drafts and prepares, in collaboration with JFKR program staff, CIC staff, GOCOR-NY, and other PA staff, materials, handouts, periodic updates, newsletters and displays for ongoing public involvement. Provides content for the dedicated public outreach website and for the Authority’s Program website. Maintains database of all interested persons, businesses, and organizations participating in the program or from the community. Submits weekly summaries of public participation efforts and outcomes.
- Informs, educates, and directly engages continuously with all those interested within the community program, including by attending and tabling at community events hosted by elected officials, community organizations, faith-based organizations, and others. Solicits feedback from elected officials, community leaders, local businesses, other stakeholders, community boards and other local community groups. Represents the Program at community events sponsored by the Program and/or Program partners.
- Works with the other key Program stakeholders, including Program consulting firms, terminal operators, airlines, contractors, etc. in public communication efforts. Maintains effective relationships and communications with key units within the PA, such as the Aviation Department, Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (ODEI), and Office of Chief Communications Officer.
- May assist in activities needed to obtain and maintain necessary approvals, permits, or agreements with external agencies (including, but not limited to the FAA, NYSDOT, NYSDEC, NYCDEP, etc.) to supplement the Program.
- Coordinates and supports the management of periodic job fairs in partnership with the Council for Airport Opportunity and others, capacity building programs for local businesses, education programming for local students, and other events or initiatives with a direct nexus to JFKR.
- Assists in overseeing M/WBE and labor force reporting for review by agency units such as ODEI.
- Refers local, minority and women owned firms to ODEI, and qualified job candidates to PA Human Resources, the Council for Airport Opportunity, or other Airport job referral organizations.
- Co-Supervises the Community Outreach Specialist, CIC Office Manager, and, potentially, part-time and/or volunteer staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 3 years relevant experience
- In lieu of Bachelor’s degree, 7 years of relevant experience
Additional/Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Ability to work with a range of stakeholders, including elected officials and their staff, community leaders and residents, Port Authority Staff, and others
- Is aware of and able to perform the role within the ethics policies of the Port Authority and public sector values in general
- Resume must clearly highlight and demonstrate familiarity with communities and experience working with community stakeholders near JFK Airport.
Must be willing to work on site at the JFK Redevelopment Outreach Office located in Jamaica, New York.