Summary of Position:
Oversee, as the School Construction Authority’s on-site representative, various construction projects in various stages of development.
- Provide the administration and coordination of activities for the design and construction of the more complex and/or highly visible construction and modernization projects under the guidance of a senior level SCA Project Officer.
- Ensure the quality and high standards of performance and compliance in both design and construction by all consultants, vendors,
- Make decisions and take action in a timely manner to expedite the timely completion of the construction
- Correct mistakes and errors in design and construction before they can be extensively incorporated into the project or as early in the construction process as
- Responsibilities are varied and include coordinative problem solving and managerial functions of these projects.
- Make decisions on phasing and scheduling of projects. Prepare and/or ensure preparation of schedules for planning, design and construction. Monitor schedules and take appropriate actions to ensure that project is completed on schedule and within approved cost limitations.
- Provide ongoing interface with contractors, construction managers, local school personnel and Senior Project Officers on project issues; routinely interact with SCA senior managers on such
- Participate in the development and issuance of project procedures and policies; review and make recommendations on SCA-wide procedures and policies.
- Provide guidance and advice to lower level Project
- Resolve issues and problems raised in field reports made by architects and construction management
- Work with architect/engineer of record regarding change orders, interpretation of contract documents, shop drawing submittals/approvals and other technical matters as required to ensure a structurally sound, code compliant and aesthetic
- Issue field memoranda or directives to contractors to enforce contract compliance. Advise senior management regarding the necessity for the assessment of liquidated damages and other contractual enforcement mechanisms, including
- Use independent judgment to make on-site change order decisions and have the authority to negotiate with contractors and commit the SCA’s resources on such change orders
- Review contractors claims or disputed work and advise senior management as to appropriate action. Compile contract and project documentation necessary for adjudicating or denying such
- Visit various job sites as required in the performance of the above
- Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in construction management, engineering, architecture, or related field.
- Five (5) years of full time, progressively responsible work as a technical specialist in one or more construction and design related fields; two (2) years must involve managing all phases of construction work on a scale and scopesimilar to the SCA.
- A driver’s license valid in New York State.
- A satisfactory combination of education and experience
Salary Range: $90,000 – $105,000